Grindleford Children to Run Lands End to John O’Groats During Lockdown
Image: Grindleford children’s running club pre-lockdown
A group of children from the Peak District village of Grindleford have formed a virtual running club during lockdown. Starting on Jun 1st they are challenging themselves to run the equivalent of the length of the country, raising money for good causes on the way.
A group of children from the Peak District village of Grindleford have set up a virtual running club while they can’t run together during lockdown. From Strava-art to Munro bagging, they’ve been setting each other amazing challenges and having lots of fun. Now they’ve decided to really challenge themselves, and between them they’re attempting to break the record to run the equivalent distance from Lands End to John O’Groats. It’s 1,407km and the record is 9 days and 2 hours! In old money that’s equivalent to 100 miles a day, or running from Grindleford to Gloucester, every day for 9 days.
There are 30 kids taking part, with an average age of 10. It means running just over 5km each, every day, for 9 days. They’re raising money for Jigsaw Food Bank in Matlock and Eyam Pump Track.
If you’d like to encourage and incentivise them to do it, you can donate via:
Matlock food Bank – https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/matlockfoodbank
Eyam Pump Track – https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/eyam-pump-track
- Day 1 – 137.47km (19 runners)
- Day 2 – 163.38km (23 runners). Total 300.85km
- Day 3 – 164.16km (24 runners). Total 465.01km, or somewhere around Birmingham…
- Day 4 – 217.32km (25 runners). Total 682.39km, or Kendal town centre… Raised so far: Eyam Pump Track £302, Jigsaw Food Bank £647
- Day 5 – 189.38km (24 runners). Total 879.87km, approaching Glasgow!… Raised so far: Eyam Pump Track £412, Jigsaw Food Bank £817
- Day 6 – 150.71km (20 runners). Total 1,030.58km, approaching Fort William. Raised so far: Eyam Pump Track £462, Jigsaw Food Bank £982
- Day 7 – 300.16km (22 runners). Total 1330.74km (including 3 kids, aged 11, 12 and 13, who each ran a full marathon!), approaching John O Groats!. Raised so far: Eyam Pump Track £733, Jigsaw Food Bank £1,442
- Day 8 – 106.19km (24 runners). TOTAL 1,442.93lm!!!! THEY BROKE THEIR TARGET / RECORD BY 36 HOURS. Toal donations so far: Eyam Pump Track £967.07, Jigsaw Food Bank in Matlock £1,7755.07. PLEASE KEEP DONATING USING THE LINKS BELOW.
Here is their celebratory cake±!
Check out these videos of the kids on their runs:
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Matt Heason E: email@example.com M: 07966529219