WORLD WAR 1 ARMISTICE CENTENARY COMMEMORATION
- A series of events will be held in the village in November to mark this important nationwide commemoration marking the Centenary of the end of the First World War, paying tribute to the millions killed or wounded in battle and those on the home front who struggled amidst pain and loss to help ensure freedom survived. In particular, we will remember the 16 servicemen of Grindleford who gave their lives in the conflict and are commemorated on our War Memorial.
- Monday 22 October – Pupils at Grindleford School will perform a short musical play, called “Tin Hats and Telegrams”. They will have two public performances, one at 2pm and one at 6pm.
- Friday 9 November – A special screening of the classic Richard Attenborough film ‘Oh! What a Lovely War’(starring Maggie Smith, John Gielgud, Kenneth More, Laurence Olivier, Vanessa Redgrave, Nanette Newman) at the Sir William Hotel at 7.00pm.
- Saturday 10th November – a concert will be held in St, Helen’s Church at 7.30pm featuring the Grindleford Singers and local musicians. Tickets £6 include refreshments and will be available from the Village Shop.
- Sunday 11th November – Remembrance Day Service at St. Helen’s Church followed by the commemoration at the War Memorial at 11am, when 16 wreaths will be laid in honour of the Grindleford servicemen by representatives of village clubs and The wreaths will be provided by the Parish Council.
Sunday 11th November – In conjunction with the National Trust at Longshaw, a beacon will be lit on Jubilee Hill (Tedgness) at 7.00pm as part of the national chain of Beacons of Light.
War Memorial Benches. The Council are looking to renovate the three benches at the War Memorial, which need sanding down and re-varnishing. Would anyone interested in carrying out the work, either on a voluntary or paid basis, please contact the Clerk.
Elections. The terms of office for all District & Parish Councillors will end in April 2019, so elections will be held next May. If anyone is contemplating standing as a member further information is available online at;
Website. There is now a page on the Grindleford.com website where the public can freely access Parish Council documents, including minutes of meetings, agenda and financial information. This makes the Council compliant with current legislation.
The Parish Council meets every second Thursday of the month at 7.30pm in the Bishop Pavilion. Residents wishing to raise any matters are given the opportunity to speak at the start of the meeting. Anyone wishing to do so should please contact either the Chairman, Robert Wilson on 01433 631517 or the Clerk, Alan Jacques 01433 631586 firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the meeting.